|Sam's Amazing Race 5|
|Season Run||June 7 – August 16 2009|
|Filmed||January 2 – January 21 2009|
|Winning Team||Luke & Chris|
|Distance Travelled||30,000 miles|
|Number Of Legs||10|
|Number Of Teams||9|
|All-Stars|| Luke & Chris|
Lee & Taylor
|Sam's Amazing Race 4||Sam's Amazing Race 6|
Development & FilmingEdit
Sam's Amazing Race 5 lasted 20 days and travelled over 30,000 miles. The teams raced in 9 countries, including Peru, Brazil, Finland and Taiwan for the first time, as well as France, Thailand, People's Republic of China and Canada with the finish line in New York, NY. The race kept the same format and clues as Season 3 and 4, but introduced the Blind U-Turn in Leg 9 which keeps the premise of the U-Turn but now the users of it don't need to post their picture on the board.
Applications were due on October 28, 2008. Semi-finalist interviews were held sometime in November 2008 and the final casting interviews were held in Los Angeles in December 2008. Scouting for locations was performed during November. Filming took place during January 2009.
It was revealed after the race that Parvati & Seema were originally casted for Season 4 but had to drop out at the last minute. Luke & Chris were the first all-male team to win Sam's Amazing Race.
Ross & Rachel later went on to participate on another edition of The Amazing Race, The Amazing Race: RFF FANTARS
|Team||Relationship||User||Position (by leg)||Roadblocks|
|Luke & Chris||Twins||hakushu8/jerseydude||3rd||4th||3rd||1st||5thB||3rd||3rd||3rdƒ||2nd||1st||Luke 5, Chris 4|
|Lee & Taylor||Dating||eragon||5th||1st||2nd||2nd||2ndA||1stƒ||4th||1st||1st⊃||2nd||Lee 6, Taylor 3|
|Samantha & Gemma||Sisters||autowil||2nd||3rd||6th||3rd||1stB||2nd||2nd||2nd||3rd⊂||3rd||Samantha 5, Gemma 5|
|Parvati & Seema||Best Friends||Raymond||4th||7th||4th||4th||4thA||5th||1stƒ||4th||4th||Parvati 6, Seema 3|
|Josh & Jamie||UFO Watchers||Hooky||6th||6th||1stƒ||5th||3rdC||4th||5th||Josh 2, Jamie 4|
|Michael & Rabia||Former Friends||smiley||7th||5th||5th||6th||6thC||Michael 2, Rabia 2|
|Ross & Rachel||Childhood Friends||DavidMV||1st||2nd||7th||Ross 1, Rachel 1|
|Amy & Daniel||Dating||spoler345||8th||8th1||Amy 0, Daniel 0|
|Cameron & Aimee||Married Parents||Kiwi Jay||9th||Cameron 0, Aimee 0|
Note 1: Amy & Daniel decided to quit the race as Daniel could not complete the Roadblock on Leg 2.
- Red means the team was eliminated.
- Green ƒ means the team won the Fast Forward clue. A green-colored leg number indicates that the Fast Forward was available for that leg but not used.
- An underlined Blue team's placement means the team came in last on a non-elimination leg and had to perform a Speed Bump task in the following leg.
- A brown ⊃ means the team chose to use a U-Turn; ⊂ indicates the team who received it.
- Matching letters means the teams paired up at an Intersection.
Episode Title QuotesEdit
- And...You Just Said That on National TV - Chris
- I'm Busy With Teen Life - Amy
- I Got a Discount Coupon For a Samba Costume - Luke
- I Personally Enjoyed the Métro - Seema
- Not Another Find-A-Flight - Jamie
- Reindeers Aren't Talking! Duh! - Taylor
- Oh Look! A Dialogue From Us! - Chris
- It Just Doesn't Look Possible - Jamie
- Did Kasperle Take A Vacation to Beijing? - Luke & Chris' guide in Beijing
- I'm Afraid of Heights...And Breaking My Nail - Luke
- Do We Get to Smash the Picture in Your Face? - Parvati
- We Would've Aced This Leg - Samantha
The prize for each leg is awarded to the first place team for that leg. All trips are sponsored by Travelocity.
- Leg 1 - A trip for two to Hong Kong.
- Leg 2 - An ATV for each team member.
- Leg 3 - A trip for two to Rome, Italy
- Leg 4 - A trip for two to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Leg 5 - A segway for each team member.
- Leg 6 - Two tickets to the New Moon movie premiere in London, England
- Leg 7 - A trip for two to the Australian outback
- Leg 8 - A trip for two to London, England.
- Leg 9 - A refrigerator for each team member.
- Leg 10 - $1,000,000
| Air travel destination Bus travel destination Railroad destination Water travel destination Helicopter travel destination|
Detour Roadblock Intersection U-Turn Fast Forward Speed Bump Pit Stop
Leg 1 (United States → Peru)Edit
- Miami, Florida, United States (Miami Art Museum) (Starting Point)
- Miami (Miami International Airport) to Cusco, Peru (Alejandro Velasco Astete International Airport)
- Cusco (La Barra del Perro)
- Cusco (Temple of Coricancha)
- Aguas Calientes (Statue of Pachacutec)
- Machu Picchu (Temple of the Sun)
The detour on Leg 1 of Sam’s Amazing Race 5 was a choice between Heal Hunger or Hurt Dirt. In Heal Hunger, teams had to go to a restaurant where the team had to eat one guinea pig between them. In Hurt Dirt, teams had to shine shoes of the locals to make 20 nuevo sols.
- Additional Tasks
- At the Bar, teams had to play a local game called sapo, where participants throw coins into the mouth of a toad statue. Once teams get a coin into the toad’s mouth, the team will receive their next clue.
- At the Temple of Coricancha, teams got tickets for one of four vans departing for Aguas Calientes at 8.10am, 8.50am, 9.00am and 9.05am.
Leg 2 (Peru → Brazil)Edit
- Aguas Calientes (Train station) to Cusco (Train station)
- Cusco (Alejandro Velasco Astete International Airport) to Manaus, Brazil (Eduardo Gomes International Airport)
- Manaus (Teatro Amazonas)
- Amazon Rainforest (Jaú National Park)
- Amazon Rainforest (Asháninka Tribal Village)
The Roadblock required one team member to climb a Samaúma Tree, which is 60m high. Once they get to the top, the team member had to grab a flag and make their way back down the tree to get their next clue. The detour was Spit & Stir or Shoot & Sip. In Spit & Stir, teams had to join the womenfolk of the village in making a traditional drink. Teams had boil up manioc, chew it, spit it into a pot and wait until it was ready before running to the pit stop. In Shoot & Sip, both team members had to use a bow and arrow to hit a target around 40m away. Then, each team member had to drink a drink prepared by the womenfolk of the village before running to the pit stop.
Leg 3 (Brazil)Edit
- Manaus (Eduardo Gomes International Airport) to Rio de Janeiro (Rio de Janeiro-Galeão International Airport)
- Rio de Janeiro (Samba Club)
- Rio de Janeiro (Rocinha Favela)
- Rio de Janeiro (Corcovado)
- Rio de Janeiro (Copacabana Beach)
- Rio de Janeiro (Maracanã Stadium)
The Fast Forward required teams to match a feather given in their clue with a feather on one of the dancer’s headdresses. The detour was a choice between Build it Up or Add it Up. In Build it Up, teams had to complete the building of a house to help in a self-help scheme. Once their house is complete, the team would receive their next clue. In Add it Up, teams had to add up numbers they see on tags hanging from electricity lines around the favela. Once they are at the end of the numbers, they would have to tell their number to a tour guide. If they are right, they would get their next clue and if they were wrong they would have to start again. The Roadblock required one team member to win 10 points in a game of beach volleyball against a local.
Leg 4 (Brazil → France)Edit
- Rio de Janeiro (Rio de Janeiro-Galeão International Airport) to Paris, Île-de-France, France (Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport)
- Paris (Stravinsky Fountain)
- Paris (Champ de Mars)
- Paris (Place de la Bastille) (unused)
- Paris (Place du Panthéon)
- Le Bourget (Paris - Le Bourget Airport)
- Giverny (Monet's House)
The detour was a choice between what to do to get to the Place de la Bastille - Travel or Travaille. In Travel, teams had to go to the nearby Pont d’Iéna and then row 3½ miles to Pont Mairie and then walk a short distance to the Place de la Bastille to get their next clue. In Travaille, teams had to go directly to the Place de la Bastille and sell enough escargot to locals to make 11 euros (approx $15). The Roadblock required one team member to complete a series of aerobatic stunts in a light aircraft.
- Additional Task
- After the detour, teams had to inline skate to Place du Pantheon to get their next clue.
Leg 5 (France → Finland)Edit
- Paris (Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport) to Helsinki, Finland (Helsinki-Vantaa Airport)
- Mäntsälä (Kirkonkyla Elementary School)
- Sotunki, Vantaa (Härmälä Farm)
- Vantaa (Kaupthing Bank)
- Helsinki (Helsinki Central railway station) to Iisalmi (Iisalmi railway station)
- Sonkajärvi (Field)
- Vieremä (Kantele Camp)
The Speed Bump required Michael & Rabia to travel to the nearby village of Kaunismäki and then each team member had to jump over a Midsummer’s Day bonfire before continuing with the race. The detour was a choice between Moo and Baa. In Moo, teams had to get enough milk from a cow to fill a bucket to get their next clue. In Baa, teams had to use a sheepdog to herd 50 sheep from one pen to another. The Roadblock required one team member to carry their partner over a marked course, as the locals do during the Wife Carrying Championships.
- Additional Tasks
- After teams intersected, they had to play the national sport of Finland - Pesäpallo. Each team member had to score a home run to get their next clue.
- At the Kaupthing Bank, one team from the intersected team had to answer questions about the race so far. Each answer would give the team a number to put into a four-digit code in a safe. Then, the other team had to guess the code correctly to get their next clue from inside the safe.
- At the Kantele Camp, teams had to repair a kantele by fixing the broken strings. Once they get it fixed, they could run to the pit stop.
Leg 6 (Finland)Edit
- Vieremä (Vieremä Church) to Rovaniemi (Bus Station)
- Rovaniemi (Santa Claus Village)
- Rovaniemi (Reindeer Farm)
- Inari (Siida Museum)
- Nuorgam (Town House)
The Fast Forward required teams to wrap up and give 5 presents to local children. The detour was Dead or Alive. In Dead, each team member had to eat a plate of reindeer meat to receive their next clue. In Alive, teams took a 10 mile ride over a marked course on a reindeer. The Roadblock required one team member to collect 5 pictures of famous Sámi people and, using books to help them, match the pictures to an object relating to them. Once they have it all correct, the museum tour guide would give them their next clue.
Leg 7 (Finland → Thailand → Taiwan)Edit
- Ivalo (Ivalo Airport) to Bangkok, Thailand (Suvarnabhumi Airport)
- Bangkok (Wat Pho)
- Bangkok (Lumphini Park) (unused, unaired)
- Bangkok (Chakrit Muay Thai School)
- Bangkok (Ananta Samakhom Throne Hall) (Leg Midpoint)
- Bangkok (Suvarnabhumi Airport) to Taipei, Taiwan (Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport)
- Taipei (Taipei 101)
- Taipei (Shin Kong Life Tower)
- Taipei (Taipei Main Station) to Taichung (THSR Taichung Station) by Taiwan High Speed Rail
- Taichung (Taichungang Road)
- Taichung (Fengjia Night Market)
- Taichung (Chishan Gate)
- First Half
In this Speed Bump, Parvati & Seema had to learn how to give a traditional Thai massage. In this detour, teams must choose between Spirit and Sparkle. In Spirit, teams must choose a bowl with the correct number of coins in it and put one in each pot next to the Reclining Buddha to receive their next clue. Teams had to repeat this task until they found a bowl with the right amount of coins. In Sparkle, teams must make their way to a local bar and sing a karaoke song on stage with a group of kathoeys. In this Roadblock, one team member had to learn a series of moves performed in Muay Thai. Then, team members had to enter a ring and defeat an amateur wrestler to receive their next clue.
- Second Half
For this Fast Forward, teams had to find a room filled with furniture. Then, teams had to arrange the furniture to comply with the rules of Feng Shui. The detour was Palms or Sticks. In Palms, teams had to search the Road for a specific fortune teller. Each team had a different fortune teller. Once they found their fortune teller, she would give each team member a palm reading before giving them their next clue. In Sticks, teams had to take part in a local Kau cim ritual before receiving their next clue. The Roadblock required one team member to search the market for a series of ingredients. Then, they would take them to a teahouse and make a Chinese medicinal tea. Once the participating team member and their partner drink their tea, they would get their next clue.
Leg 8 (Taiwan → People's Republic of China)Edit
- Taichung/Taipei (Taichung Airport/Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport) to Beijing, People's Republic of China (Beijing Capital International Airport)
- Beijing (Pagoda of Tianning Temple)
- Beijing (Beihai Park) (China Central Television Tower)
- Beijing (Peking University Gymnasium)
- Beijing (Wangfujing Station)
- Beijing (Temple of the Sun)
The last Fast Forward of Sam's Amazing Race 5 had teams complete two laps of the base of the tower and then climb the 1484 steps to the top. The detour was Kung Fu Fighting or Fast As Lightning. In Kung Fu Fighting, teams travelled to the Red Theatre where each team member would learn 3 moves performed in The Legend of Kung Fu to receive their next clue. In Fast As Lightning, teams went to the Laoshan Velodrome where each team member had to complete 5 laps of the track on a bicycle in a time of less than 1 minute and 20 seconds. For this Roadblock, one team member had to pick a local table tennis champion and each score 10 points against him/her to receive their next clue.
- Additional Task
- At Beihai Park, teams had to pick a boat and row out to a floating platform to find "a friend" - the Travelocity Roaming Gnome.
- At the subway station, teams had to draw a Chinese character onto a stone on the pavement to receive their next clue.
Leg 9 (People's Republic of China → Canada)Edit
- Beijing (Great Wall of China - Badaling)
- Beijing (Beijing Capital International Airport) to Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada (Vancouver International Airport)
- Vancouver (English Bay)
- Langley (Langley 204 Equestrian Centre)
- Burnaby (Burnaby Mountain - Centennial Park) (Leg Midpoint)
- Vancouver (Vancouver International Airport) to Montréal, Québec (Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport)
- Montréal (Montréal Biosphère)
- Montréal (Place Jacques-Cartier)
- Montréal (Montréal Clock Tower) (Blind U-Turn)
- Montréal (Gare Centrale) to Toronto, Ontario (Union Station)
- Toronto (Air Canada Centre)
- Toronto (Rogers Centre)
- First Half
For this Roadblock, one team member had to use a rope to scale the Great Wall and climb to their next clue. The detour was a choice between Ride or Raid. In Ride, teams had to ride a horse over a half mile course jumping over a series of fences. If teams hit any fences they would have to restart the task. In Raid, teams had to search in a huge pile of horse manure for a small wooden statue of a horse which they could exchange for their next clue.
- Second Half
For this Speed Bump, Parvati & Seema had to sit still while a painter paints their portrait. If the painter judges them to have not sat still enough, he would have to start again. The detour was Wet or Dry. In Wet, teams had to learn how to river surf on the Saint Lawrence River. If each team member could stay on their board for 30 seconds without falling, they would receive their next clue. In Dry, teams had to use a map to guide a calèche driver on a 7 mile course to their next clue. The Roadblock had one team member play a game of curling with a local player. The team member had to throw the stones towards the house. Then the local player would sweep the stone. Once team members had got three stones in the house, they would receive their next clue.
- Additional Task
- After the detour, teams had to ride a segway to the Montréal Clock Tower for their next clue.
Leg 10 (Canada → United States)Edit
- Niagara Falls, New York, United States (Prospect Point)
- Owego (Owego Fire Training Center)
- New York City (Divine Touch Organic Cleaners)
- New York City (Condé Nast Building)
- New York City (Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts)
- New York City (Flushing Meadows–Corona Park - Unisphere)
The detour was Smoke or Fire. Smoke required teams to don fireman's gear and enter a smoke-filled building to find a dummy and return it to the entrance of the building and exchange it for their next clue. Fire had teams connect the water main to a fire truck. Once they did this correctly, teams had to extinguish a simulated fire to receive their next clue.
- Additional Tasks
- At the Dry Cleaner’s, teams collected a business card and a dress and had to figure out that they had to find an assistant who worked for Condé Nast Publications. Teams had to find the assistant in the company’s building and give her the dress for their next clue.
- At the Lincoln Center, teams received photographs of all of the places they visited on the race and had to place the tallest place they visited in each leg of the race on each of the spaces on the board. Once teams got all 9 (one from each prior leg of the race), they would receive their next clue.