|Sam's Amazing Race 4|
|Season Run||February 1 – April 12 2009|
|Filmed||November 26 – December 20 2008|
|Winning Team||Aja & Ty|
|Distance Travelled||36,000 miles|
|Number Of Legs||10|
|Number Of Teams||9|
|Sam's Amazing Race 3||Sam's Amazing Race 5|
This is the fourth installment of the fictional reality series, Sam's Amazing Race.
Forumsnet greenlit the 4th installment of the series in October 2008, after some debate over whether the show had been cancelled. Applications were received all the way through October and final interviews took place in Los Angeles on November 3. The race was filmed over November and December 2008. The race spanned 5 continents and visited many new countries such as Benin, Singapore and Vietnam. The second part of Leg 4 was originally supposed to be held in Mumbai, India, but the leg had to be rerouted to Hyderabad due to recent terrorist attacks in Mumbai. The teams this season included a pair of fraternity brothers, lawyer divorcees, a retired NFL player and his estranged wife and a team of Southern Belles. After the race, Starr and Dallas, who competed on opposing teams, started dating long distance. However their relationship ended soon afterwards.
|Team||Relationship||User||Position (by leg)|| Roadblocks|
|Aja & Ty||Dating Long Distance||Vicdemort||2nd||6th||5th||1st||1st||1st||3rd||1stB||1st⊃||1st||Aja 4, Ty 5|
|Mark & Bill||Best Friends||Zack||6th||3rd||1stƒ||2nd||5th||4th||2nd||3rdA||2nd⊂||2nd||Mark 4, Bill 4|
|Toni & Dallas||Mother-Son||redwings8831||5th||2nd||3rd||4th||4th⊃||2nd||1stƒ||1stB||3rd||3rd||Toni 4, Dallas 4|
|Marisa & Brooke||Southern Belles||eragon||4th||4th||2nd||3rd||2nd||5th||4th||4thA||Marisa 4, Brooke 4|
|Andrew & Dan||Frat Boys||codyman1124/tar23||3rd||7th||7th||5th||3rd||3rd||5th||Andrew 4, Dan 3|
|Terence & Sarah||Newly Dating||Reality_Fan||7th||1stƒ||3rd||6th||6th⊂||Terence 2, Sarah 2|
|Kelly & Christy||Divorcees||Jake.||1st||8th||6th||7th||Kelly 2, Christy 2|
|Ken & Tina||Separated||autowil||9th||5th||8th||Ken 1, Tina 1|
|Nick & Starr||Brother-Sister||sportsperson624||8th||9th||Nick 1, Starr 0|
- Red means the team was eliminated.
- Green ƒ means the team won the Fast Forward clue. A green-colored leg number indicates that the Fast Forward was available for that leg but not used.
- An underlined Blue team's placement means the team came in last on a non-elimination leg and had to perform a Speed Bump task in the following leg.
- A brown » means the team chose to use a U-Turn; « indicates the team who received it.
- Matching letters means the teams paired up at an Intersection.
Episode Title QuotesEdit
- That Should so be This Leg's Title! - Kelly
- They're Called Clues for a Reason - Bill
- What Person Would Find Reading Mail Difficult? - Bill
- Let's See Dandrew Beat That Record of Suckiness - Christy
- These Dress Things Are All the Same! - Aja
- Terence is So Gonna Kill Them - Brooke
- The Journey Was Scarier Than the Jump - Marisa
- A Lonely Tree Watches Our Doom - Dan
- It's Good but It's Not Right - Marisa
- All This Tweeting is Putting Me Off - Toni
- You Are Now Millionaires. Just Think About That. - Phil Keoghan
The prize for each leg is awarded to the first place team for that leg. All trips are sponsored by Travelocity.
- Leg 1 - A Trip for two to Delhi, India.
- Leg 2 - A Trip for two to Almaty, Kazakhstan.
- Leg 3 - A Trip for two to La Paz, Bolivia.
- Leg 4 - A Trip for two to Siem Reap, Cambodia.
- Leg 5 - A Kodak EasyShare camera for each team member.
- Leg 6 - A Travelocity Roaming Gnome for each team member
- Leg 7 - A Trip for two to Moscow, Russia
- Leg 8 - A cruise around Alaska.
- Leg 9 - A catamaran for each team member.
- Leg 10 - $1,000,000
| Air travel destination Bus travel destination Railroad destination Water travel destination Helicopter travel destination|
Detour Roadblock Intersection U-Turn Fast Forward Speed Bump Pit Stop
Leg 1 (United States → Scotland)Edit
- Los Angeles, California, United States (Dodger Stadium) (Starting Point)
- Los Angeles (Los Angeles International Airport) to Aberdeen, Scotland (Aberdeen Airport)
- Aberdeen (Seaton Park)
- Aberdeen (Wallace Tower) (Overnight Rest)
- Badenoch and Strathspey (Loch Morlich)
The detour was Tartan or Toss. In Tartan, teams must go to a town hall just outside Aberdeen and then collect a piece of tartan. Teams must match the pattern on their tartan with one of the men’s kilts inside the hall who are in a céilidh. Once they find the right man, he will give them their next clue. In Toss, teams must go to a field by the River Dee and once there play a Highland sport known as the Caber Toss. Each team member must toss a tall pole and have it land between two lines to receive their next clue.
- Additional Task
- At Seaton Park, teams had to learn to play a bagpipe. Then, teams must join 2 bagpipe players around a 1.5 mile course to Wallace Tower and get 1 of 5 departure times for the next morning - 8am, 8.15am, 8.20am, 9am or 9.15am.
Leg 2 (Scotland → Benin)Edit
- Drumnadrochit (Urquhart Castle) (Blairbeg Park)
- Inverness (Eden Court Theatre)
- Inverness (Inverness Airport) to Cotonou, Benin (Cotonou Cadjehoun Airport)
- Cotonou (Port)
- Cotonou (Plage de la Cotonou)
- Cotonou (Dantokpa Market)
- Cotonou (Marina Hotel)
The Speed Bump had Ken & Tina play shinty by scoring one goal each from the center circle on the field. The Fast Forward required teams to help local fishermen pull in their harvest on to the beach. The first team to do this would win the Fast Forward. The Roadblock required one team member from each team to search one of the largest markets in West Africa for a small stall where the shop owner would give them their next clue. The only clue teams are given to find the stall is an item that is sold there. The detour on this leg of the race was Lug the Log or Build the Bike. In Lug the Log, teams must go to the entrance to the market and carry a large log to a sawmill 3 miles away through the busy streets of Cotonou. In Build the Bike, teams must find a bike factory 1 mile away and assemble a bike to receive their next clue.
Leg 3 (Benin)Edit
- Cotonou (Boat Rental Company)
- Ganvié (Post Office)
- Ganvié (Church)
- Ganvié (Fish Farm) (unused, unaired)
The Fast Forward required teams to search through hundreds of yellow envelopes for an Amazing Race envelope. In this detour, teams chose between Place it Up and Take it Down. In Place it Up, teams must go by boat to an area with stilts sticking out of the water. Teams must then help locals get a house on top of the stilts correctly to receive their next clue. In Take it Down, teams go by boat to another area within Ganvié. There, teams would have to help locals take down an old roof on a house and take it to the dock to get their next clue. The Roadblock required one team member from each team to pick up 20 fish in a basket and go by boat to the Ganvié market where they could get their next clue.
Leg 4 (Benin → Greece → India)Edit
- Cotonou (Cotonou Cadjehoun Airport) to Athens, Greece (Athens International Airport)
- Athens (Bus Terminal) to Olympia (Bus Station)
- Olympia (Ancient Olympic Stadium)
- Olympia (Temple of Zeus)
- Olympia (Gymnasium) (Leg Midpoint)
- Olympia (Bus Station) to Athens (Bus Terminal)
- Athens (Athens International Airport) to Shamshabad, Andhra Pradesh, India (Hyderabad International Airport)
- Hyderabad (Golconda Fort)
- Hyderabad (Charminar)
- Hyderabad (HITEC City - Call Centre)
- Hyderabad (Lalitha Kala Thoranam)
- First Half
The detour on this leg of the race was Ancient Olympics or Modern Olympics. In Ancient Olympics, teams must take part in the ancient Olympic sport of hoplitodromos. Teams must put on full, 27kg armour and each team member must run 800 yards with this armor on to receive their next clue. In Modern Olympics, teams must take part in the Olympic sport of archery. Each team member must hit the 9 or 10 ring of the target by shooting an arrow from 30 meters away to receive their next clue. After the detour, teams found the Roadblock. For this Roadblock, one team member must play fencing against a local athlete. Teams must score 15 points against him to receive their next clue.
- Second Half
The detour of this half of the leg was Sweet or Sari. In Sweet, teams must go to Pullareddy Sweets and sell sweets to locals to make 500 rupees (approx. $10) to get their next clue. In Sari, teams must find a store called Hussain Sari. Once there, teams must search the store, filled with women wearing saris, and find the only woman wearing a more modern garment called a Salwar kameez who will have their next clue. The Roadblock required one team member from each team to search a huge room with ringing phones for the only one which is telling them the name of their next pit stop.
- Additional Task
- At the Temple of Zeus, teams had to search for a Travelocity Roaming Gnome which would have their next clue under it. Teams would have to take the gnome to the pit stop.
Leg 5 (India → Singapore)Edit
- Hyderabad (Ramoji Film City) (unused, unaired)
- Shamshabad (Hyderabad International Airport) to Singapore (Singapore Changi Airport)
- Singapore (Little India - Tekka Centre)
- Singapore (Little India - Sri Veeramakaliamman Temple)
- Singapore (Chinatown - Chinatown Heritage Centre)
- Singapore (Singapore Botanic Gardens)
- Singapore (Riverside - Clarke Quay)
The unused Fast Forward involved Tollywood dancing. The detour in Singapore was Cook it or Eat it. In Cook it, teams must prepare and cook a local delicacy called Bak Chor Mee. If teams cook it correctly they will get their next clue. In Eat it, teams must search the market for a stall selling fruits. Teams must then eat the insides of 1 durian fruit between them to get their next clue. At the temple in Little India, teams found the 2nd of 3 U-turns on this race. For this leg’s Roadblock, one team member must go in search of the national flower of Singapore - Vanda Miss Joaquim. Once teams find one a gardener will give them their next clue.
- Additional Task
- At the Chinatown Heritage Centre, teams carried a 2 person lionhead through the area to a park where they could get their next clue.
Leg 6 (Singapore → New Zealand)Edit
- Singapore (Singapore Changi Airport) to Dunedin, New Zealand (Dunedin International Airport)
- Dunedin (Baldwin Street)
- Dunedin (Robert Burns Statue)
- Nevis River (Nevis Highwire Platform)
- Tarras (Farm)
The detour on this leg was Gain Weight or Lose Weight. In Gain Weight, teams must find Cadbury’s World. Once there, teams must chew through 10,000 Cadbury milk chocolate bars until they find one of 25 with caramel in the center. In Lose Weight, teams had to take part in the Baldwin Street Gutbuster, a cycle up the steepest street in the world. At the top they will get their next clue. For this Roadblock, one team member must complete a 450ft bungee jump.
Leg 7 (New Zealand)Edit
- Shotover River
- Queenstown (Bob's Peak)
- Canterbury Plains (Inverary Sheep Station)
- Picton (Edwin Fox)
- Picton to Wellington (Westpac Stadium)
- Te Puke (Kiwi 360)
- Rotorua (Whakarewarewa)
- Auckland (One Tree Hill)
The Final Fast Forward required teams to go in a jet boat down the Shotover River until they see a flag on the banks of the river. The detour was Glide or Ride. In Glide, teams must take a tandem paraglide with an instructor off of Bob’s Peak to a landing site 5,000ft below. At the bottom teams will get their next clue. In Ride, teams must ride a luge around a track 3 times each to get their next clue. The Speed Bump required Marisa & Brooke to get a ball from inside a rugby scrum and then run with the ball to past the goal line and score a try to be able to continue on the race. The Roadblock required one team member from each team to learn and perform the Haka.
- Additional Tasks
- At Inverary Sheep Station, teams had to help a sheep shearer to remove the wool from a sheep to receive their next clue.
- At Kiwi 360, teams had to crush a vat of kiwifruit to produce 2 glasses worth of juice. Each team member must then drink 1 glass each of the juice to receive their next clue.
Leg 8 (New Zealand → Vietnam)Edit
- Auckland (Sky Tower)
- Auckland (Auckland War Memorial Museum)
- Auckland (Auckland Airport) to Ho Chi Minh City/Cần Thơ, Vietnam (Tan Son Nhat International Airport/Cần Thơ International Airport)
- Cần Thơ (Quang Trung Bridge)
- Châu Đốc (Tay An Temple)
The Roadblock on Leg 8 featured one team member searching for a specific artefact using a picture of it with their clue. The detour on this leg was Grab a Boat or Grab a Bite. In Grab a Boat, intersected teams must row around a floating market collecting food along the way. Then, teams must deliver the food they have collected to a marked boat where they would get their next clue. In Grab a Bite, intersected teams must go to a restaurant to eat Thit Cay Tran Van Hoai. Each team member must eat a plate of this to receive their next clue.
Leg 9 (Vietnam → People's Republic of China)Edit
- Ho Chi Minh City (Tan Son Nhat International Airport) to Kunming, Yunnan, People's Republic of China (Kunming Wujiaba International Airport)
- Kunming (Newsstand)
- Kunming (Kunming Market)
- Kunming (Wenmiao Tea Garden)
- Kunming (Yuantong Temple)
The detour was Sounds or Smells. In Sounds, teams must find the area of the market where birds are sold. Once there, teams must listen for the bird which makes a different noise from the others and get their next clue from the cage where it is staying in. In Smells, teams must go to a shop where artificial flowers are sold. Then, teams must find a real flower in amongst the fakes ones using only their noses. The Roadblock required one team member to play a popular Chinese game with a local - xiangqi. Teams must win a game of this to receive their next clue.
- Additional Task
- At the Newsstand, teams bought the morning newspaper Yunnan Daily and looked through to find their next clue printed on one of the advertisements.
Leg 10 (People's Republic of China → United States)Edit
- Kunming (Kunming Wujiaba International Airport) to Beijing (Beijing Capital International Airport)
- Beijing (Forbidden City)
- Beijing (Beijing Railway Station)
- Beijing (Laoshe Tea House)
- Beijing (Niao Chao)
- Beijing (Beijing Capital International Airport) to Portland, Oregon, United States (Portland International Airport)
- Buxton (Stump-Branch Logging Company)
- Forest Grove (Giant Sequoia)
- Newberg (Tilikum Retreat Center)
The Speed Bump required Toni & Dallas to search the railway station for a specific person. The only clue they had was the person's name (山姆 - Sam) in Chinese characters. The detour on the final leg of the race was Wet or Sweat. In Wet, teams must go to the Water Cube and each team member must complete a 10m platform dive to receive their next clue. In Sweat, teams must put on a costume of one of the 2008 Olympic mascots. Teams must run 1 lap of the 400m track in these costumes to get their next clue.
- Additional Tasks
- At the Laoshe Tea House, teams must drink a cup of tea and at the bottom their next clue would be exposed. However the clue is in Chinese and teams would need to get it translated.
- At Stump-Branch Logging, teams had to use a two person handsaw to cut up a log until they find the name of their next destination on the inside of the log.
- At the Tilikum Retreat Center, teams had to make their way on foot on logs floating on the river, a distance of 800ft. At the end of the logs, teams will get to an island and check in at the finish line.