|Sam's Amazing Race 10|
|Season Run||December 29, 2013 – March 2, 2014|
|Filmed||October 25 – November 18, 2013|
|Distance Travelled|| 36,000 miles|
|Number Of Legs||12|
|Number Of Teams||11|
|Sam's Amazing Race 9||Sam's Amazing Race 11|
Sam's Amazing Race 10 was the tenth season of the fantasy reality television show Sam's Amazing Race. This season will feature 11 teams of two, each with a pre-existing relationship, racing around the world attempting to win $1,000,000.
Development & Filming
This race had the same format as previous seasons. For the first time since Season 2, a Yield appeared on the race, during Leg 3. As with the last race, the Express Pass was given to the winner of the first leg. Filming took place in 10 countries during this run, with a first time visits to Armenia and Ethiopia, as well as the first full legs taking place in Argentina and Mexico.
The cast for this season included Los Angeles Clippers teammates Blake Griffin and Chris Paul, along with Chelsea teammates Eden Hazard and Kevin De Bruyne. Also included in the cast were Eatyourkimchi blog owners Simon and Martina Stawski, a pair of amputee military soldiers, and teams including bandmates, models and tennis moms.
The following teams participated in the Race, with their relationships at the time of filming.
|Team||Relationship||User||Position (by leg)||Roadblocks|
|Martina & Simon||Married||autowil||2nd||2nd||4th||1st||2ndε||3rd||5th4||5th||3rd⋐||1stƒ||Martina 4, Simon 5|
|Chelsea & Holly||Tennis Moms||Paldog||6th||1st||2ndε||3rd||4th||2nd||4th4||2nd||1st||2nd||Chelsea 5, Holly 5|
|Jessica & Sophie||Best Friends / Models||WinTar||1st||4thε||3rd||4th||5th||1stƒ||2nd3||4th||4th⊂⋑||3rd||Jessica 5, Sophie 4|
|Sarah & Shaleen||Bandmates||David||7th||3rd||1st||2ndε||1stƒ||3rd||1stε||3rd||2ndε⊃||4th||Sarah 4, Shaleen 5|
|Blake & Chris||Clippers Teammates||MikeDodgers||5th||7th||7th>||7th⊂||3rd||5th2||3rd||1stƒ||5th||Blake 4, Chris 4|
|Tasha & James||Married Military Soldiers||ZBC Company||10th||8th||6th<||5th⊃||6th||6th||Tasha 4, James 2|
|Stephanie & Mikey||Bandmates||Happy Wanderer||8th||5th||8th||6th⋑||7th||Stephanie 3, Mikey 2|
|Zack & Grace||Newly Dating||Andre||9th||6th||5th||8th⋐||Zack 1, Grace 3|
|Tiana & Chloe||Mother / Daughter||Kamineko||3rd||9th1||Tiana 1, Chloe 1|
|Amanda & Eric||Dating||Stephen||4th||10th||Amanda 0, Eric 2|
|Eden & Kevin||Chelsea Teammates||Bwils927||11th||Eden 0, Kevin 1|
Note 1: Tiana & Chloe were checked in in 9th place on Leg 2, and Amanda & Eric arrived last and were eliminated. During the Pit Stop, Tiana & Chloe decided to quit the race due to an injury, meaning two teams were eliminated on Leg 2.
Note 2: Blake & Chris arrived at the Pit Stop in 5th place, but were assessed a 30-minute penalty for buying bus tickets at a counter that wasn't marked with race flags. No teams checked in during this penalty period, so Blake & Chris checked in 5th. It is assumed that Tasha & James would have been assessed the same penalty anyway, as they bought tickets at the same counter.
Note 3: Jessica & Sophie used a 20-minute time credit they were awarded as a prize for winning a previous leg at Leg 7's pit stop. Their placement was not affected.
Note 4: Chelsea & Holly and Martina & Simon arrived 3rd and last respectively on Leg 7, but were both assessed 30-minute penalties for landing at Vnukovo Airport in Moscow instead of Domodedovo Airport, as stated in their clue. Chelsea & Holly dropped to 4th place, while Martina & Simon were already in last place.
- Red means the team was eliminated.
- A Green ƒ means the team won the Fast Forward clue. A green-colored leg number indicates that the Fast Forward was available for that leg but not used.
- A Purple ε indicates that a team has decided to use the Express Pass on that leg.
- An underlined Blue team's placement means the team came in last on a non-elimination leg and had to perform a Speed Bump task in the following leg.
- An underlined leg number indicates that there was no mandatory rest period at the Pit Stop and all teams had to continue racing. The first place team was still awarded a prize for that leg.
- A brown ⊃ or ⋑ means the team chose to use a U-Turn; ⊂ or ⋐ indicates the team who received it.
- An orange > means the team chose to use a Yield; < means the team received it.
Episode Title Quotes
Episode titles are often taken from quotes made by the racers.
- "It's The Size of Jaws" – Zack
- "Time To Burn, Baby, Burn" – Chris
- "Look At Our Bellies! We're Giants!" – Jessica
- "The Most Interesting Jesus I Saw In Ages" – Simon
- "Something Moving By The Bush" – Sarah
- "No Way I'm Touching Skin, Ew" – Martina
- "Phil Is Waiting For Me In A Swimsuit" – Shaleen
- "If I Still Get Hit, I Hit The Producer" – Martina
- "This Is How Break Dance Was Created" – Shaleen
- "Save Me From King Kong" – Sarah
The prize for each leg is awarded to the first place team for that leg. All trips are sponsored by Travelocity.
- Leg 1 – The Express Pass – an item that can be used on the race to skip any one task of the team's choosing up until Leg 10.
- Leg 2 – The Express Pass (as Jessica & Sophie used their Express Pass during Leg 2).
- Leg 3 – The Express Pass (as Chelsea & Holly used their Express Pass during Leg 3).
- Leg 4 – The Express Pass (as Sarah & Shaleen used their Express Pass during Leg 4).
- Leg 5 – The Express Pass (as Simon & Martina used their Express Pass during Leg 5).
- Leg 6 – A 20-minute time credit which could be used at any of the next three pit stops.
- Leg 7 – The Express Pass (as Sarah & Shaleen used their Express Pass during Leg 7).
| Air travel destination Bus travel destination Railroad destination Water travel destination |
Detour Roadblock U-Turn Fast Forward Speed Bump Pit Stop
Leg 1 (United States → Mexico)
- Seattle, Washington, United States (Tillicum Village) (Starting Point)
- Seattle (Seattle–Tacoma International Airport) to Mérida, Yucatán, Mexico (Manuel Crescencio Rejón International Airport)
- Mérida (Hacienda Dzitya Poligono Chuburna) (Overnight Rest)
- Mérida (Iglesia de Santa Ana)
- Mérida (Plaza Grande)
- Mérida (Casa de los Montejo (Spanish)) to Tinum (Spanish) (Chichen Itza)
- Tinum (Chichen Itza – El Caracol)
In the first Roadblock of the race, one team member had to use verbal instructions to guide their blindfolded partner towards one of the piñatas hanging from trees around the square. Once their partner knocked down a piñata, they could take their next clue from inside.
- Additional tasks
- At the starting line, teams had to find their first destination in a word search puzzle. The only clue teams had was that the city was in the Yucatán Peninsula. Once teams found the name of the correct city (Mérida), they had to tell Phil in order to receive flight tickets to Mérida. The last team to do this would be "marked for elimination".
- At Hacienda Dzitya, teams signed up for departure times for the next morning. When they departed in the morning, teams had to find the hacienda's charreada arena, and throw sombreros towards the Mexican horsemen riding horses around the arena. Once either team member threw a sombrero which landed on any horseman's head, they received their next clue.
- At the Church, teams had to run throw a Day of the Dead celebration, where locals would be letting off fireworks all around them, to their next clue.
Leg 2 (Mexico → Chile)
- Cancún, Quintana Roo (Cancún International Airport) to Temuco, Araucanía Region, Chile (Maquehue Airport)
- Temuco (Southern Andean Volcano Observatory)
- Villarrica (Villarrica Airport)
- Pucón (Lake Villarrica)
- Pucón (Volcán Villarrica)
This Roadblock required one team member to bungee jump from the skids of a helicopter over Volcán Villarrica, dropping 375ft over a pool of molten lava. After the jump, the team member was dangled on the bungee rope as the helicopter travelled at 80mph back to the airport. This season's first Detour was a choice between Pretty Patterns and Pretty Heavy. Pretty Patterns required teams to drive to a farm and find one of three people wearing a chamanto, and holding a basket of eggs. Teams had to take the egg of an Araucana chicken (which are blue, and were only in one of the three baskets), and then search the farm for a person wearing a chamanto of the exact same pattern as the person holding the correct egg. Pretty Heavy required teams to walk to a meadow and, with the help of six oxen, transport a house on tree trunks 800m to a new clearing, a Chilean method of removing ghosts from the house.
- Additional tasks
- At the Southern Andean Volcano Observatory, teams had to use binoculars and a volcano guide to figure out that the volcano located almost exactly 60 miles away was Volcán Villarrica. Teams then had to drive themselves to the airfield in the city sharing the volcano's name to find their next clue.
- After the Detour, teams had to hike up an old chairlift route on Volcán Villarrica in order to find the pit stop.
Leg 3 (Chile → Argentina)
- Curarrehue (Mamuil Malal Pass)
- Villa El Chocón, Neuquén Province, Argentina (Ernesto Bachmann Palaentological Museum)
- San Patricio del Chañar (Bodega del Fin del Mundo)
- Neuquén (Bus station) to Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires Province (Retiro bus station)
- Balvanera, Buenos Aires (Café de los Angelitos)
- Monserrat, Buenos Aires (Plaza de Mayo)
This Roadblock had one team member collect information about the dinosaurs of South America. They then had to walk to El Chocón Dam, where they were given a category (for example, herbivorous, Triassic dinosaurs). Once they had identified all the South American dinosaurs which fitted into this category, teams received their next clue. This Detour was a choice between Herbivores and Carnivores. In Herbivores, teams had to use a hand cart to transport 450 apples from an orchard to a campsite. In Carnivores, teams had to go directly to the campsite and then participate in an Argentine asado by cooking and then eating 2.5 pounds of beef.
- Additional Task
- At Café de los Angelitos, teams found a teacher, who said to them "Pierino, si yo digo "fui rica", es tiempo pasado, pero si digo "soy hermosa", ¿que es?" ("Pierino, if I say "I was rich" is past tense, but if I say "I'm beautiful", what is it?"). Teams had to figure out that Pierino is a character in a typical Argentine joke, and then figure out the answer to the question was "Exceso de imaginación." ("Excessive imagination.") and say that to the teacher, who would hand them their next clue.
Leg 4 (Argentina)
- Belgrano, Buenos Aires (Tierra Santa theme park)
- Saavedra, Buenos Aires (Parque Sarmiento (Spanish)) (Double U-Turn)
- San Telmo, Buenos Aires (Buenos Aires Museum of Modern Art)
- San Telmo, Buenos Aires (San Telmo Market)
- Monserrat, Buenos Aires (Academia Nacional del Tango de la República Argentina) (unaired)
- Palermo, Buenos Aires (Club de Pescadores)
In this detour, teams had to choose Push It or Punch It. In Push It, teams had to go to a nearby swimming pool and play underwater hockey. Once teams scored one goal against a player, teams received their next clue. In Punch It, teams took a taxi to Estadio Tres de Febrero and had to recreate Diego Maradona's famous "Hand of God" goal in a match against England at the 1986 FIFA World Cup. One team member had to lob a soccer ball into the penalty area, where the other team member had to jump with a goalkeeper to punch the ball into the net. Once they recreated it correctly, the referee handed teams the next clue. In this Roadblock, one team member had to use a mannequin head and a picture for reference, teams had to create a famous advertisement in Argentina of a Geniol head. To do this, teams had to go to a nearby market and buy the items they needed to complete the task.
- Additional task
- At Tierra Santa, teams had to witness a large statue of Jesus Christ rising from behind a rock. The statue rose on the hour, every hour.
Leg 5 (Argentina → France)
- Buenos Aires (Ministro Pistarini International Airport / Aeroparque Jorge Newbery) to Bordeaux, Aquitaine, France (Bordeaux–Mérignac Airport)
- Angoulême, Poitou-Charentes (Angoulême Cathedral)
- Multiple train stations to Maisons-Laffitte, Île-de-France (Gare de Maisons-Laffitte)
- Maisons-Laffitte (Château de Maisons)
To claim this Fast Forward, teams had to search Angoulême for "the men looking into reality". Teams had to figure out that this referred to a piece of street art painted on a wall in the town, and go there to claim the Fast Forward. In this Detour, teams chose Sniff it Out or Roll it Out. Sniff it Out had teams travel by train and taxi to a vineyard in Cheverny, Centre Region and use only their noses to identify the wine in a glass they were given amongst dozens of French wines in bottles. After identifying the correct wine, they would be handed a bottle of Cheverny AOC and their next clue. Roll it Out required teams to drive over 230 miles to a cheese cellar near Clermont-Ferrand, Auvergne, where they had to search the cellars for a block of Bleu d'Auvergne cheese with their next clue attached. In the Roadblock, one team member participated in a murder mystery game, involving a "murder" which had just taken place at the soirée they attended. Using the case file provided, teams had to deduce which of the suspects committed the murder. If they got the correct answer, the inspector handed teams their next clue. If they were wrong, they had to exit the crime scene and wait for their next turn to guess.
- Additional task
- Teams had to take the bottle of wine or the block of cheese they collected at the Detour to the Château de Maisons and give it to the doorman in order to gain entrance to a formal soirée taking place at the château. After dressing up in formal attire, teams could enter the soirée and had to wait until they were given their next clue.
Leg 6 (France → Ethiopia)
- Paris (Eiffel Tower)
- Paris (Jardin du Luxembourg)
- Paris (Charles de Gaulle Airport) to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (Addis Ababa Bole International Airport)
- Addis Ababa (Autobus Terra bus station) to Arba Minch, Southern Nations, Nationalities, and Peoples' Region
- Sawla, Gamo Gofa Zone (School) (Overnight Rest)
- Sheel-Kanibol neighbourhood, Basketo special woreda (Basketo farm)
- Sheel-Kanibol neighbourhood (Performance arena)
- Gamo-Basketo road (Yirgino River Bridge)
For this Fast Forward, teams had to attend an Ethiopian coffee ceremony. The local there would show them the steps of the ceremony. Teams then had to go to another house nearby and conduct their own coffee ceremony. The first team to exactly replicate the first ceremony at the second location could claim the Fast Forward. The detour was Headlines or Bloodlines. In Headlines, teams had to carry 20 old newspapers to a nearby house, which are used locally to decorate the walls inside houses. There, teams had to fill in the blanks in the headlines listed on their clue which could be found on the walls of the house. Once they had all the completed headlines, they had to return to the farm and tell the farmer the news to receive their next clue. In Bloodlines, teams had to search the farm for cow hide hanging on fences. Once they had two pieces, they had to use special tools to cut the hide into exactly straight strips, twist them into rope, and then deliver them to a local market to receive their next clue. In this Roadblock, one team member had to choose three locals with musical instruments and form a band. After writing a song of at least two verses, they had to perform the song with their band for a panel of local celebrities. If the celebrities were happy with their song, teams received their next clue. If they failed, they had to write another song and try again.
- Additional tasks
- At the Eiffel Tower, teams had to attach wheels to their shoes and go cycle skating through the streets of Paris to the Jardin du Luxembourg for their next clue.
- At the school in Sawla, teams signed up for departure times for the next morning.
- After the Detour, teams had to choose two Ethiopian long-distance runners and follow them as they led them to their next clue.
Leg 7 (Ethiopia → Russia)
- Addis Ababa (Meskel Square)
- Addis Ababa (Addis Ababa Bole International Airport) to Moscow, Russia (Domodedovo International Airport)
- Star City, Moscow Oblast (Yuri Gagarin Cosmonaut Training Center)
- Losiny Ostrov National Park (Belokammenaya railway station)
- Moscow (Izmaylovsky Park)
During the pit stop, teams were taken by bus from Leg 6's pit stop back to Addis Ababa's Meskel Square. This Roadblock required one team member to experience complete weightlessness by going on a zero-gravity flight. With all teams on the same flight, one team member had to enter an area of zero-gravity and grab three coloured strips flying around them in order to create the flag of Russia. After all teams had their flags, the flight landed, and teams were given their next clue in the order they completed the task, maintaining the same time differential that they finished the task. In this detour, teams chose Dig Down or Heat Up. In Dig Down, teams had to walk to a clearing and use shovels to complete the digging of two graves until they reached a marked line on a stick. Then, they both had to be buried alive for 12 consecutive minutes, a popular form of stress relief in Russia. Once they were both buried for 12 minutes, they received their next clue. In Heat Up, teams had to walk to a nearby stream and build a hiking banya to match a finished example to receive their next clue.
- Additional task
- Teams were given a photograph of a statue of the space dog Laika, one of the first animals in space, and had to figure out that this statue was located at the Yuri Gagarin Cosmonaut Training Center.
- Upon arrival at the Yuri Gagarin Cosmonaut Training Center, teams had to ride a centrifuge until it reached 3.2g.
Leg 8 (Russia → Armenia)
- Moscow (Domodedovo International Airport / Sheremetyevo International Airport) to Yerevan, Armenia (Zvartnots International Airport)
- Yerevan (Yerevan Children's railway)
- Yerevan (Yerevan Chess House)
- Yerevan (Victory Park – Katyusha rocket launcher)
- Yerevan (Saint Gregory the Illuminator Cathedral)
- Yerevan (Karen Demirchyan Complex)
- Yerevan (National Gallery of Armenia)
In this Speed Bump, Simon & Martina had to ride a train being driven by local children along a train track. Along the way, they had to look out the windows for signs posted along the side of the track. At the end of the ride, they had to tell the conductor all the signs the saw. If they saw all the signs, they could continue on the race. For this Fast Forward, teams had to play chess against a local junior champion, and capture three of their opponent's pieces. The Roadblock required one team member to participate in the local Vardavar festival. The team member had to run through groups of locals participating in a water fight, while they wore a helmet with a paper ring attached. They had to reach the Mother Armenia statue without their paper ring being damaged by the water. If they made it to the statue, they received their next clue. If their ring was damaged along the way, they had to go to the start of the course and try again. The Detour was Lift or Be Lifted. In Lift, teams had to go weightlifting on a stage. The team members had to lift weights in perfect sync for them to count towards their total weight lifted. Once teams lifted a cumulative total of 600kg, the judge handed teams their next clue. In Be Lifted, teams had to participate in a local dance called the Berd. Standing on the shoulders of a group of men, both team members had to remain balanced while the men completed all the moves of the dance. If both team members did not fall for the duration of the dance, the choreographer handed teams the next clue.
Leg 9 (Armenia)
- Yerevan (Yerevan Cascade)
- Garni (Garni Temple)
- Mets Gilanlar, Khosrov State Reserve (Aghjots Vank)
- Khosrov State Reserve (Kakavaberd Fortress) (Double U-Turn)
- Yerevan (Taverna Kavkaz)
- Yerevan (Vardanats Blind Alley)
- Yerevan (Katoghike Tsiranavor Church of Avan)
- Yerevan (Sergei Parajanov Museum)
In the Detour, teams had to choose either Canine Beauties or Bear Necessities. In Canine Beauties, teams had to walk their dog (collected as per the instructions in the Additional tasks below) to a nearby beauty station and use the tools provided to groom their dog for a dog beauty contest. Once a panel of judges decided their dog was more beautiful than the others in a line-up, teams received their next clue. In Bear Necessities, teams had to walk their dog into a wooded area and train their dog to hunt bears. Using a series of verbal commands, teams had to direct their dog towards a dummy bear standing in the forest, and then to attack the bear. Once the dog knocked the bear to the ground, teams could take their next clue from the bear's feet. For this Speed Bump, Simon & Martina had to paint a plate to match the specific pattern shown on another plate. Once the plate was completed, they could continue racing. For this Roadblock, one team member had to pick up all the pieces of the plate they smashed in the previous task (see Additional tasks) and then use glue to reassemble their plate. Once the plate was back to its original state, teams received their next clue.
- Additional tasks
- At the Yerevan Cascade, teams had to search the surrounding streets for one of five Ladas with their next clue attached, and drive it throughout the leg.
- At the temple in Garni, teams received departure times for the next morning. In the morning, teams had to pick up a Caucasian Shepherd Dog and fit it into their Lada, then drive themselves to Aghjots Vank.
- After the Detour, teams had to walk their Caucasian Shepherd to a dog handler before continuing to their next destination.
- At Taverna Kavkaz, teams had to eat a local delicacy (khash) and identify the main ingredient (cow's feet) from a group of possibilities. Teams then had to take a set of cow's feet with them to Vardanats Blind Alley and give them to a bride's mother in exchange for the bride's shoes, which one team member had to wear for the rest of the leg. The team then had to transport the bride and her wedding party of ten people in their Lada to the Katoghike Tsiranavor Church of Avan. Once all of the wedding party was delivered, teams had to go into the church and smash a plate by standing on top of it to receive their next clue.
Leg 10 (Armenia → Indonesia)
- Yerevan (Zvartnots International Airport) to Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia (Ngurah Rai International Airport)
- Delod Berawah, Negara, Jembrana Regency (Buffalo racing arena)
- Ubud, Gianyar Regency (Ubud Monkey Forest)
- Tampaksiring (Gunung Kawi temple)
- Denpasar (Sanur beach)
- Denpasar (Sanur beach) to Nusa Lembongan
- Nusa Lembongan (Dream Beach)